Monday, June 27, 2011

Sexland

At work, Jeremy Vine was in Iceland; not the shop, the country. Contrary to expectations, Iceland sounds rather rude. Even when they (inevitably) started talking about volcanoes, it sounded unpleasantly biological, what with all the references to 'viscous ooze', 'wind problems' and 'big ones erupting so close together.' Or maybe it's just me: in a meeting on Wednesday I nearly collapsed into giggles when one colleague claimed to have 'front-loaded' another.

Iceland have banned lap dancing. The general view in the office was that they probably don't need sex clubs, as they no doubt get their rocks off by frolicking in the hot springs. There was some discussion about how the sex industry demeans those who work in it. I pointed out that we in admin are not that much better off, although admittedly we are not called upon to fire ping pong balls from our nether regions. Not yet anyway.

Carol said that she had seen this act in Thailand, and Lorraine picked up on it as a classic example of women being treated as objects. I wasn't so sure - surely the object in this case is the ping pong ball. I didn't mention my own experience on Grant's stag do in Amsterdam, during which I seem to recall actually catching something which had been propelled through the air in this fashion. I can't quite remember what it was, but it wasn't a ping pong ball. A cricket ball? Surely not a basketball? I'll have to consult my notes. If they aren't too smudged.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home