Monday, May 19, 2008

why I love Get Selling

Regular readers may have got the impression that I have some 'problem' with Get Selling. However, as it turns out, all those entries were a dream. Yes, I've seen the light. It may sound completely fake and ridiculous, but I now love Get Selling! For no apparent reason!

Well, I say 'for no apparent reason' but there are plenty of reasons. Why would I not relish an opportunity to 'share my passion' with customers on the shop floor? I didn't even know I had passion until Get Selling told me so. Of course I knew I liked books, but I thought this was just a kind of anal obsessiveness. Apparently, though, it's passion, and customers just can't wait for it to rub itself up against them on the shop floor!

I should have known, bookshops being notorious hotbeds of passion, ranking just below brothels and salsa classes in the public imagination.

The best thing about this 'passion', though, is that it's completely indiscriminate. I get to be passionate about just about everything they sell, even if I think it's crap! Which makes me a professional enthusiast, something like a TV presenter really, only without all that tiresome baggage of wealth and fame.

Get Selling is great because it encourages us to do the impossible. 'Affirming the buying decision', for example. Whatever anyone brings to the counter, we're supposed to rave about how wonderful it is, in a completely natural and unforced way, without sounding like a gabbling freak. This brings us many an exciting challenge, I can tell you. Suppose, for example, someone brings The Girls Of St. Spanky's (not a children's book) up to us. What do we say? 'My Mum wrote that'? Or how about: 'Why, I was just wanking over that one myself at lunchtime. Please excuse the stains.'

This easily fulfils the other important directive of Get Selling: 'Be remembered.'

As a final task, we also get to 'double the appreciation we show to customers and colleagues'. 'Thank you, thank you', I find myself saying. It's like I'm responding to applause. A real buzz! 'What is the impact on customers and colleagues?' Well, sadly the customers do tend to think I'm being weird and/or sarcastic, and as for the colleagues, they definitely think I'm being sarcastic.

I can't imagine why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home