Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I must stop blogging about work

Our area manager appeared to do the second Get Selling session. There was therefore a need to take it slightly more seriously. Although I did make it known that I had 'problems' with one of the graphs. And found myself trying to argue that I could occupy the Zone of Defection, the Zone of Indifference, and the Zone of Affection simultaneously. At this point I was very possibly in the Zone of Being Fired. Esme later likened the scene to the one in Donnie Darko where the teacher, inspired by Patrick Swayze's self-help guru, draws a line on the board with 'Love' at one end, and 'Fear' on the other and asks her students to place themselves on this line... DD tells her to stick it up her arse. Or something in that line.

Obviously, I wasn't as blunt as that. Still, the whole notion of 'customer loyalty' remains a mystery to me. No doubt Sainsbury's would think I'm loyal to them, but the sad truth is... they're on the way home from work. Of course reward cards make a difference, but how is self-interest 'loyalty'? I'm not even loyal to the company I work for - as regular readers may have noticed.

Even so, it appears that I have qualified for a 'loyalty award' for ten years' service. The irony! Especially as I was working for a different company for eight of those years. I can hardly say I'm not grateful, though at the same time I can't help being amused at their use of the word 'loyalty'. Wouldn't 'lethargy' would have been more appropriate?

Talking of loyalty... we have recently abandoned our regular curry haunt - the Sakura - for snazzy new(ish) kids on the block, Chutney Joe's. Amanda instigated the first visit, and felt so guilty that, a week later, she suggested we all visit the Sakura. But by the time I'd joined them in the pub for a drink beforehand they' d already decided to go to Chutney Joe's again. The food was good, it wasn't overly expensive, and despite having the feel of a 'dining experience' rather than an established restaurant, it did not lack for authenticity. There was even a bit of a language barrier. My order for a Scotch and Coke was garbled into something like 'a small cottage in the Cotswolds.' Which, disappointingly, never appeared.

Ah yes, I have been neglecting my social life in these pages, haven't I? The other night we went to The Swan. Paul Jones was there, fresh from his visit to Australia. He liked it enough to want to live there, the only thing to put him off being the spiders. He kept spotting them, amassing in corners, in places which - people assured him - had been spider-free for years. Seems the spiders have got it in for him, and are possibly even now getting a petition together to keep him out. Unless he's imagining things - but his ability to spot creatures, and know what they are, was attested to at the end of the evening when he and Hannah were discussing the time they'd seen an animal in Wickford High Street, an animal which he'd correctly identified as a fox but she'd insisted was a penguin ('It waddled.')

As to how such a confusion arose in the first place, we may never know. It's not the kind of thing you could plot on a graph (the Hannah Zone?) And it's all the better for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home