Sunday, April 20, 2008

regression

I have a second interview for that job. Dave says that means it's 'in the bag', and that it would be enormously hard to fuck it up now. Nevertheless, I have every confidence in my ability to do so.

It's surprising, thinking back on it, that I have not been written off yet. Didn't they say, towards the end of the first interview, that the job was 'boring, for the first two years'? Which sounded like they were trying to put me off. I mean, how, in the context of a job interview, was I supposed to react to this? 'Well, there's only one thing I enjoy more than being proactive and dynamic, and that's being bored! Boredom, to me, is just another word for excitement!'

When I was asked whether I had any questions, I chose to pick up on something I'd read in the job description and which I'd assumed was jargon. 'What', I enquired, 'is a nurse?'

'Well', they said, 'it's a nurse.' Apparently, this place does a lot of work in the health sector.

My big mistake, though, was that, not wanting to look like I'd made an error, I persisted in pretending not to know what a nurse was, so that they had to explain it all to me, with the aid, eventually, of diagrams (because I wanted to be convincing in my ignorance). By the end of which I had more or less reverted to childhood: 'Nice lady. Work in hospital.'

'That's right, dear', they said, encouragingly. Well maybe that's what they want: a blank slate. I can do that. My CV's 'personal statement' is now: 'I thrive on boredom, and have forgotten everything I ever knew.'

Well I am forty. And so is my brother now (what an unforced link!). This event was celebrated at the weekend. So many people turned up in The Swan that we were forced to create a fire hazard by pushing tables together and blocking access. Luckily, most of us had left by the time the fire broke out. We renewed our acquaintance with the Sakura, where the manager even provided Justin with a bottle of champagne and a cake. Curry and cake, together at last! So we shall definitely be going back there - for his 50th, at the very least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home