Monday, December 13, 2010

consternation street

Coronation Street has celebrated it's 50th anniversary by traumatising and killing off its characters in a tram disaster. Now that's what I call a celebration! This event has also caused ex-characters to come crawling out of their graves into satellite programmes like (the inevitable) Come Dine With Me special, featuring Reg Holdsworth (I mean, actor Ken Morley) who is practically indistinguishable from his character (I mean, phenomenally irritating). He is still compulsively watchable, though predictably he came fourth out of four; 'I just hope I'm the fourth to die', he quipped.

Amazingly, some people weren't watching the live special: they were too busy rioting in the streets. Bloody students. Their activities were soon conveniently summarised by the 'iconic' (as it has no doubt already been called) image of Charles and Camilla cowering in their car from the protestors, she with (according to a Daily Mail headline) 'terror in her eyes' (it looked more like irritation to me). This would have been shocking in the 70's, but the reaction seems more ambivalent now, and the recent revelation that Camilla might have been 'poked with a stick' may well tip the balance into outright hilarity.

Had he been a more enterprising Royal, Charles might have leapt out onto the roof of the car to make a stirring speech to the rioters, perhaps leading them in a march on Parliament ('My ears are large enough to accommodate all your demands! Follow me, I shall be your King!') But nobody does that kind of thing anymore. The riots are just an opportunity for money-grubbing photographers to coerce protestors (or anyone really) into taking a shit on a statue of Winston Churchill, so that they can sell a picture of this 'outrage' to the Mail. It may not have happened yet, but I'm sure it will. Especially now I've mentioned it to Chad, who seemed quite keen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home