Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Darts Match

We went down to Wales for the wedding of Rhys and Hadeel, Dave driving. As an experiment, and because Dave's ipod had run out of battery, my ipod (or 'deep throat' as I have named it) was used to provide the in-car 'entertainment'. However, it seems that prolonged exposure to 'my' music sends Dave into a trance, and from there swiftly into clinical depression and psychosis - the experiment was abandoned at Reading services.

Rhys was putting up decorations at the wedding venue. He was so very pleased to see us that he immediately fell off the table he'd been standing on. Luckily, he bounced back, and we spent the night before his wedding in the traditional manner, watching Mega-Shark Vs. Giant Octopus starring Debbie Gibson on the Horror Channel. No doubt we would all have got riotously drunk, except Rhys spilled beer on the sofa and had to rush out to buy Febreze.

The wedding venue was a pub called Ty Mawr. This means 'Big House' apparently. You can see why they didn't bother to translate it. When, pointing at the name on the menu, I asked Rhys what it meant, he thought I was indicating the special offer just beneath it and was surprised at my puzzlement at the notion of 'two main meals for £8.95'. Despite which, he was all geared up to launch into an explanation, and I really wish now that I'd let him.

The ceremony went smoothly enough. Mat did the best man's speech, seeing as he was the designated best man. Both Rami, Hadeel's brother, and Rhys did speeches before him, and I feared that they might steal his thunder. There was no need to worry, as Mat doesn't have any thunder. He doesn't 'do' thunder any more than he can grow facial hair (Amanda, he explained at one point during the day, can do that for him). He was simply, hilariously, himself. It's an act he's been perfecting for many years, while still managing to give the impression that he's just starting out.

The night ended really quite bizarrely with Mat and I caught up in a seemingly endless discussion (I would hesitate to call it an argument) about Science (Mat) versus not so much Religion or even Spirituality as my fuzzy idea of 'something more'. Since Mat chose to define Science as 'everything that has ever existed or ever will exist' I feel I did well in keeping it going for as long as it did. We ended up in the hotel, standing talking in front of the bar for what might have been hours before I finally suggested getting a drink. At which point he said no he didn't really want another drink, and we repaired to our rooms.

Everyone else had drifted off long ago, alienated by the discussion. It was not quite Mega-Shark vs. Giant Octopus, after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home