Friday, October 28, 2005

I'll still be doing this job when I'm dead

People ask me whether, working in retail, I still get that Christmas feeling. Of course I do. It’s just that the feeling is less one of magic and excitement, and more one of dread, irritation and stunned disbelief that I’m still in the same job at the end of another year.

So I’ve taken a few days off in a last ditch attempt to get a new job before Christmas closes in again. I don’t think it’s going to work. Yesterday I wound up going to London to see a French zombie movie at the London Film Festival. It being a French movie, the zombies don’t stumble around looking all decayed and eating people’s brains - that would be vulgar. Instead, they look exactly like they did when they were alive, only a bit more confused. The biggest fear is that they’ll want their old jobs back. It’s slow-burning stuff - sometimes so slow-burning that you start to wonder if it’s gone out - but has its own special eeriness. It’s called Les Revenants, or, in English - a rather rough translation this, though it should help sales - Shaun of the Dead 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home