Sunday, August 14, 2005

London declared safe

There are helpful notices in the shop where I work about what to do if a terrorist rings up to say he's planted a bomb in the vicinity. All the questions to ask, and the order in which to ask them. I dread this happening. Not because of the fear of being blown up, but because of the social awkwardness of that telephone conversation. Questions that you might naturally ask first - like 'Who are you?' and 'Why are you doing this?' - are way down the list, beneath questions about the nature of the bomb and what time it's set for. How are you meant to play that? A man rings up and tells you he's planted a bomb in the shop and your first question is: 'Ooh, what kind?' You'd sound like some kind of geeky bomb enthusiast.

I went to London yesterday for the first time since 7/7. I didn't notice much in the way of terror. I wasn't even inclined, on the tube, to look around for persons liable to explode. After all, it was Saturday: Thursday's Al Qaeda day. I can't see why they don't make it a national holiday. Every week. That would put paid to their evil schemes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home