Sunday, February 08, 2009

also it snowed

It seems that I am after all going to have to be interviewed for my new post in the restructure. Shit.

There are no guarantees, it seems. This week my boss found out that she hadn't got the job we all thought was hers almost by right. This makes everything lower down the structure doubly uncertain. Certainly if their intention was to shake our complacency, this has been achieved. Thing is, I've only been there four months and that's nowhere near enough time to become complacent. Isn't complacency my right? Perhaps I will form a protest group. Complacency! It's a motivating concept. Something to rally round.

Or maybe I'll just slink back to retail with my metaphorical tail between my legs.

After all, there are plenty of people on the shop floor less suited to it than I. On Saturday I went with Dave to PC World to get a computer. It was intended to be just a stop on the way to Lakeside but it became the main event. First we had to find it. Despite my abortive attempts to read the map on Dave's i-phone, we eventually made it through the traffic-clogged streets around Romford to find ourselves in the place the map indicated: a truncated residential road ending in a grassy recreation area. Indeed, the road was even called 'Recreation Avenue'. Whatever next? 'Exercise Lane'? 'Activity Grove'? A graffiti-scarred sign ahead of us began: 'Dog faeces can be unpleasant...' Can be? I must admit I find it hard to think of circumstances in which it could be anything else. But this was Romford - anything goes.

What the place clearly lacked was a branch of PC World or in fact any retail outlet at all, however tiny. Something had gone wrong. Eventually we found it by going down a road we'd taken earlier by (as we thought of it at that time) mistake. Inside, Dave stationed himself by the thing he wanted and waited for a member of staff to approach him. This was his mistake. There were plenty of staff available to sell things to people, but the appearance of someone who knew what he wanted seemed to throw them into confusion. Even the security guard (who looked about fifteen) was summoned, such was the unprecedented nature of this event. He and a number of other staff disappeared, ostensibly in order to fetch his purchase, but 'disappeared', it turned out, was the operative word. So we disappeared too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home